The Ultimate Guide for Foreigners Working in China

If you are seeking job in China, or if you are currently employed there. You'll find this topic helpful since you have a lot of questions. For your convenience, we have created a list of frequently asked questions.

Who is allowed to work as a foreign expert in China?

Foreign experts are non-Chinese nationals invited to China by the Chinese government or by a Chinese business, institution, multinational corporation, or other organization because their expertise is vital to the country's economic and social growth. The phrase "foreign expert" is used to describe foreign professionals who are integral to China's economic and social growth but who are based outside of the nation.

In China, foreign experts may fall into one of the following groups, all of whom have established reputations on a global scale:

First, technical or management personnel, with exceptions made for exceptional conditions pertaining to agreements between nations or international organizations.

Experts from many fields (e.g., academia, industry, the media, publishing, the arts, medicine, and sports).

Experts with at least ten years of experience in technical or managerial roles, or professionals whose experience is equivalent to that of a vice general manager.

Individuals who have been officially recognized as representatives of foreign organizations by the State Bureau of Foreign Expert Affairs

Experts in the fields of economics, technology, engineering, trade, finance, accounting, taxation, and tourism who are also knowledgeable with China's unique standards

To what extent does a foreign expert working in China fall into each of the following three categories?

Specialists in the professions of education, journalism, publishing, the arts, medicine, and sports who are hired from outside and paid at least as much as Chinese experts are paid are considered to be "foreign experts" in China. These individuals have been recognized as leaders in the field of education and culture.

Experts in economics include non-Chinese professionals and administrative workers who will be involved in bringing technology and equipment into China.

Thirdly, those with backgrounds in technology and management; this includes technicians and program specialists employed by local governments, financial administrations, businesses, enterprises, key construction projects, scientific research institutions, agricultural units, medical units, financial units, and businesses; and fourthly, those from other countries. Many of these experts may be retirees.

Overseas specialists in technical and management roles need approval from higher levels of government at both the national and regional levels, and their pay must come from the Overseas Expertise Introduction fund (OEI).

I need to know who to contact in your organization to find out who is responsible for overseeing foreign nationals working in China.

In accordance with the Regulations on the Administration of Employment of Foreigners in China, it is the responsibility of the people's governments of provinces, autonomous regions, and municipalities, as well as the authorized prefecture-level administrative departments of labor security, to oversee the employment of foreigners in China.

When we talk about "foreigners employed in China," we're referring to those foreigners who are doing social work and being paid for it but who haven't legally established residence in China. People who do not have Chinese citizenship as defined by the People's Republic of China's nationality legislation are referred to as "foreigners" here; the word "foreigners" used in the context of the Chinese labor market has the same meaning.

Personal member service
Click for details
Corporate member service
Click for details