Signing Contracts with a Company in China

Changing careers is a significant choice. Not unless it also entails a relocation to China. There is a huge gap between the two, beginning with the language and continuing on through the culture and cuisine. The last thing you need is for your new employment to be radically different from what you expected. What you need to know to verify with your company before signing a contract or boarding an aircraft is detailed below. Whether you're brand new to China or just switching companies, this article will be helpful.

Ahead of time and in writing

It's imperative that you have a thorough conversation with your employer about the following issues before you pack your bags and go to China to pursue a new profession and lifestyle. And, make sure your contract includes all of your terms and conditions. While an English translation of the contract may be helpful, it is important to keep in mind that the Chinese original will always take precedence in the event of a dispute.

Medical coverage

Many companies that employ a significant number of people from other countries also have comprehensive international health insurance policies with major providers. Companies with fewer or no foreign workers may not need to. In any case, before talking to your employer about what they can provide you, do some research on insurance plans with major, respected insurers to get a sense of what sort of coverage is available and at what price range.

Vacation flights

Oftentimes, employers will cover the cost of a round-trip airfare back to your hometown once or twice a year. As long as the flight is between your "home," the city from which you left to go to China, and the city in which you are employed, this benefit is likewise tax deductible.

Paid and unpaid time off, sick and bereavement days, and other types of leave should all be clearly laid out for you. Learn the customs and traditions associated with a Chinese holiday. There are times when the government rearranges the work schedule to give you many consecutive days off for a national holiday, but you'll have to work on the weekends to make up for it. You can be given a four-day weekend, only to find out that you have to work one or two Saturdays to "make up" for the Wednesday and Thursday you missed.

Accommodations allowance

Housing allowances, like insurance and travel, are highly negotiable between companies. Only certain establishments provide it, and even then, the services they provide might differ widely.

When you first start working at a company, they may pay for your hotel stay (anything from one night to many weeks).

They may give you a certain amount of money to use as a rent subsidy, but it would still be up to you to locate a place to live. While some companies may provide a fully furnished flat, the cost of utilities is often not covered. You should not expect a comparable housing subsidy if you do not like the apartment. So, you either accept the deal they provide you or come up with the whole amount for the rent yourself. It's possible your company has nothing to offer.

Documentation for employment authorization and visa

Your company should initiate the online application process, but you'll need to provide them with the information they need.

We want to create a separate piece on the visa process because of its complexity, but for now there are only two issues we need to address:

How much support will you get from your company if you decide to apply somewhere else?

Who is responsible for the many costs that come along with this?

Formalities A respectable company will take on the bulk of the paperwork associated with your work visa application. Previously spread out around the nation, the system is now centralized online. Ideally, they'd be the ones to start the application process and let you know what paperwork they'll need from you.

Application Costs for a Work Visa

Medical examination fee, visa fee, work permit fee, resident permit fee, and any fees associated with having your documents notarized or authenticated. Which party is responsible for footing the bill? Who is more loyal to your employer, you or your boss? Find out what costs they will assume and what you will be responsible for.

Make sure your passport has at least 12 months left on it before it expires. If it has expired, renew it before applying for a visa.

Personal member service
Click for details
Corporate member service
Click for details